Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012 - The End


Many of my friends decided to do a daily posting on Facebook citing 22 different things they were thankful for leading up to Thanksgiving.  For a brief moment I considered it, as we have a lot to be thankful for this year.  With that said, I didn't want any one day to overshadow any other, so I decided against it.

I created this blog when I was in a horrible time in my life.  Sometimes my writing isn't able to capture what's really going on in my head, I've never been very good at expressing true emotions.  I began writing to help myself purge the bad things from my life and make some sort of attempt to start over again.  At age 30, I was going through a rebirth of sorts.  The life I was living had me running around in circles.  Like the old saying goes, I kept doing what I had always done, and kept getting what I had always gotten.  Now, just over three years later, I m exactly where I want to be.  I have a wonderful wife, an amazing new baby girl, and Jen and I are both lucky enough to have jobs that pay the bills and enable us to save money.  We're planning to buy our first house this coming summer, and are making plans for the future of our family.  I can't think of anything better to be thankful for this year.

Speaking of family, I am very lucky to have my mother just a few blocks away who has been an enormous help to us during the transition from couple to family.  My brother treats our daughter like she is his own, and it has brought us closer together.  Many of my friends do not have these luxuries, and for these things I am extraordinarily thankful.

I have now been sober for over three years.  None of the things I've mentioned so far would even be possible without that very important life change.  Like any worthwhile change, it was a period of adjustment that was very difficult, but is now just a part of who I am.  I have been lucky to have true friends that supported and did not judge me, and for that I am thankful.

For all these reasons, it's time to discontinue this blog.  I feel like we have arrived at a point in our lives where it's time to put the negativity of the past behind us, and look toward a future that seems to grow brighter every day.  So instead of posting on Facebook to thank God for my cats or my iPhone or my material possessions, I want to take this time to be thankful for my health, family, friends, and future, because those are the things that make life worth living, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment