Sunday, January 3, 2010

Playing With Fire

I just read the most awesome book EVER. It's called Playing with Fire, and was written by an alcoholic drug addict victim of sex abuse who was once so close to suicide he felt the gun barrel bouncing off of his teeth, and is now on his third year of sobriety. Through all of his demons he managed a career that kept him busy and on the road a lot, and kept his biggest secrets from his friends, family, and employers. Hockey fans will remember him as number 14 for the Calgary Flames - future hall of famer Theo Fleury.

Reading this book was very eye opening not only because I identified with so many of his experiences, but with the feelings that came along with them as well. Stories like his are part of the inspiration that keep me motivated on my journey to continued sobriety, but I recommend this book to EVERYONE.

For those of you keeping track at home, my last taste of alcohol was nearly 5 months ago, and it's easier every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment