Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Changes!

I'm beginning to notice a few friends introducing positive changes to their lives. This makes me happy. I'm not going to get into the catalyst for my decisions, at least not any more so than I already have, but it seems like everyone has a breaking point. For some, their problem is alcohol, some drugs, some family, some friends. It's not always about addiction. But since these friends have begun writing about their struggles, I decided to write my thoughts for the week.

A good friend of mine read me a quote from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button that had an impact on me, and I'm hoping my friends can glean something from it as well:

"For what it's worth: it's never too late... to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again. "

This is such a simple philosophy, but it seems to slip through the cracks from time to time. There is no reason to settle for less than the best in life. Not happy with your job? Find one that you love. Unhappy in your relationship? There are other fish in the sea. Does something have control over you that makes you unhappy? Fight it off. Eliminate from your life anything that means to do you harm. Are your friendships one way - are you the only one contributing positively? Take some of the load off. Some might say "get new friends", but choose wisely.

I think I was afraid of losing friends because I wasn't drinking anymore. Sure, I had fun hanging out with those people and partying all day or night, but when it was all over, I was broke and felt empty inside, or so miserably hungover I could barely function. But once I made the decision, some of those "drinking buddies" were still there, offering their support and have been really cool about keeping me on track. those are the real friends. The others? Not sure, haven't really talked to them. It's when you make positive changes in your life that you learn some of life's most important lessons.

So to all of you embarking on your own personal journey - I wish you all the best of luck, and offer you my unconditional support.

4 comments:

  1. What a great quote. I saw that movie this summer but I don't think I was ready to really "hear" the message in it. It is some simple and true. You speak only truths on this topic. I look forward to getting to see you again during the Caps/Canes game again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i seriously have no idea if the comment i left earlier is posted or not - could this be more complicated?

    anyway, love reading your blog and this one has not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another great quote: when i was in the midst of my personal hell, aka comps, when i felt like my spirit had been completely broken by the system, my dad gave me a bit of wisdom he'd gotten back when he was in the midst of his own hell (the ny bar).
    in "latin": illegitimi non carborundum
    translated: don't let the bastards get you down

    ReplyDelete