Saturday, August 29, 2009

An eye opening tragedy

For the record, I never had a chance to meet Adam Goldstein, aka DJ AM, I was merely a casual fan of his musical collaborations.

While some of you may not be clear on how this could possibly be relevant to my situation, there are others that may see it clear as day. But it impacted me nonetheless.

He had been sober for nine years up until the plane crash he was involved in. NINE years. As I approach my three week mark it has me thinking what a long time nine years really is. Aside from nearly dying in a terrible place crash, he seemed to be living life right. The reports that are coming in now are that he had recently broken up with his girlfriend, and that he was suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome after the crash that killed four other people.

A lot of the comments I've seen on facebook about this are calling him "selfish" and that "he was given a second chance and blew it". I honestly believe now, more than ever, that you really should not judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins. I've battled more demons in my short life than I would ever wish on anyone, including some things I've never told a single soul, and probably never will. Before I made the decision to stop drinking and get my life together, I battled with depression and thoughts of suicide myself. Until you've felt the agony and despair of someone spiraling out of control of their life, you can't possibly imagine how their brain rationalizes things. I too, feel like I have been given a second chance. I imagine it's about how born-again Christians see it. But everyone makes mistakes, even on the second go-round.

Maybe it was a suicide, maybe it was an accident. Hell, maybe it was a murder made to look like an overdose or suicide. Only time will tell. But what I can say is that in this writer's opinion, there is no one qualified to pass judgement on his state of mind except for himself. But it definitely makes me think about the peaks and valleys in the journey that someone like us goes through. I truly hope that no matter what cards are dealt to me, I'll have the strength to stay on the right path.

The one unequivical truth is that the world has lost a fantastic artist, and he should be remembered for the joy that he brought to others with his music. He will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this post. You make an incredible point. People are so quick to judge when it comes to addiction, yet they will never know. For someone to call his death a "selfish" act (yeah, i saw all the blogs) is just plain heartless. People judge too quickly. There is no amount of money or fame that can ever change what one goes thru. in fact, i think money and fame make it worse.

    Thanks for always inspiring me Jon. :) Keep the thoughts coming.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete