Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 19

I guess this is going to be a very sporadic blog, because half of the time I'm just too tired to write.

Today is day 19 of sobriety, and I'm still feeling great. I can't even begin to imagine how much money I've saved, although in week one I did some pretty heavy ebay shopping.

But anyway... last night was one of the true tests of my will. Ever have one of those days that you get home and you just wish you had like three hours to sit in a hottub and watch a movie and sweat out all of the negativity in your life? I realize how "tree-hugging-hippie" that sounded, but seriously. I NEED that right now. Or I need to find a way to convince the powers-that-be at Kettler to open up one of the ice rinks at 3am and let me skate after work.

I just need to relieve myself of some stress. Maybe a week at the beach, or even just a week at home doing absolutely nothing. Maybe a really good massage. I don't know, but something is going to have to give. I know that they say "wherever you go, there you are", but sometimes it's good to get away. I've even thought about taking one day off next week and going to Charlestown and watching horses race and play penny slots. It's cheap, it's close, and I can do it by myself without being bothered.

I'm glad that I've wised up and not turned to the alcohol as a stress relief, because it really only made it worse. The one thing I've been doing more is reading. I never got to do that because I was too hungover to get up before work, or too drunk to read after work. I'm glad I have that back again. I am up to date and have read all of David Baldacci and Vince Flynn's books, and I'm really looking forward to Dan Brown's new novel The Lost Symbol. It only took him what, 6 years? Release date is 9/15, if you can find it.

Let's see, what else... I had coffee with a friend today that I don't get to see nearly enough, and another person that I rarely see at all. It was nice to just sit outside and bullshit about nothing at all, and just enjoy the afternoon. Definitely reminded me why I'm glad I don't live in Fairfax, though. Too much traffic for being so far from the city.

College football kicks off in exactly one week. The two teams I follow (Virginia and Tennessee) are not in any shape to win anything this year, so I'll just root against Florida and hope that they lose on a fairly regular basis. Hockey preseason starts in 19 days! I am PSYCHED for hockey season this year, it is a good time to be a Caps fan!

That's it for now, I'll be back soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment